- AREC 360: The Poverty and Development of Nations
- AREC 513: Consumption Economics and Price Analysis
The primary focus of my research is the application of contract theory and models of industrial organization to problems of agricultural risk management and rural development. My existing research focuses on how agricultural households manage risk to achieve their goals of sustainable development and food security. Complementing and expanding upon this, my recent research investigates the use of contracts in agriculture and estimates the impact of new technology on household welfare and health outcomes. These topics combine to reveal policy relevant insights about agricultural management practices in an uncertain environment.
- Michler, J.D. and S.Y. Wu. 2020. Relational Contracts in Agriculture: Theory and Evidence. Annual Review of Resource Economics, forthcoming.
- Michler, J.D. 2020. Agriculture in the Process of Development: A Micro-Perspective. World Development 129: 104888.
- Michler, J.D., E. Tjernström, S. Verkaart, and K. Mausch. 2019. Money Matters: The Role of Yields and Profits in Agricultural Technology Adoption. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 101 (3): 710-31.
- Michler, J.D., K. Baylis, M. Arends-Kuenning, and K. Mazvimavi. 2019. Conservation Agriculture and Climate Resilience. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 93: 148-69.
- Slade, P., J.D. Michler, and A. Josephson. 2019. Foreign Geographical Indications, Consumer Preferences, and the Domestic Market for Cheese. Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy 41 (3): 370-90.
- Josephson, A. and J.D. Michler. 2018. Beasts of the Field? Ethics in Agricultural and Applied Economics. Food Policy 79: 1-11.
- Barriga Cabanillas, O., J.D. Michler, A. Michuda, and E. Tjernström. 2018. Fitting and Interpreting Correlated Random-Coefficient Models Using Stata. Stata Journal 18 (1): 159-73.